We, the undersigned, condemn the Chinese government’s attempt to illegitimately implement a “national security” law in Hong Kong by circumventing the legislative process.
Amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, the Chinese Communist Party is dismantling Hong Kong’s political and press freedoms. We are alarmed by this blatant violation of Hong Kong’s Basic Law Article 18, which experts and activists are interpreting as the death of “One Country, Two Systems” and Hong Kong’s autonomy. The “national security law” is another attempt to silence dissidents and to forcibly impose the Chinese Communist Party’s rule in Hong Kong.
Beijing’s complete disregard for the Sino-British Joint Declaration, a binding international agreement, is reflective of their agenda. The Chinese State has demonstrated that they have no interest in adhering to international norms, but plans to rewrite the rules and reshuffle the international order in their favour.
Hong Kong is no longer an autonomous region, and therefore must be treated as such. We demand the Canadian government and the international community to immediately revoke Hong Kong’s special administrative status by terminating treaties that offer it preferential treatment, starting with the extradition treaty. We must consider Hong Kong’s democratic future outside of the confines of the One-China fantasy.
Canada must stand against the Chinese party-state’s global authoritarian control, both overseas and at home. Beijing has been increasingly exerting pressure within Canada and other nations to mute criticism of its human rights violations and mishandlings of the COVID pandemic. We must stand together as an international community to voice support for the Hong Kong people and our own rights and freedoms.
- Action Free Hong Kong Montreal
- Alliance Canada Hong Kong
- Canada-Hong Kong Link
- Friends of Hong Kong Edmonton
- Halifax-Hong Kong Link
- Hongkonger in Deutschland e.V.
- McMaster Stands with Hong Kong
- Ottawans Stand With Hong Kong
- Ottawa Post-Secondary Institutions’ Hong Kong Awareness Group
- Torontonian HongKongers Action Group
- Torontonians Stand with Hong Kong
- Vancouverites Concerned About Hong Kong
- Vancouver Hong Kong Action Group
- Vancouver Hong Kong Political Activists
- Waterloo Lion Rock Spirit
- Frankfurt stands with Hong Kong
- NSW HongKongers
- Stand With Hong Kong – Belgium
- Thailand supports Hong Kong